An outline of this training course
This training course gives a beginner to intermediate user of Power BI a complete overview of the various different parts of Power BI Desktop, Power BI online service and Power BI mobile applications. Reviewed are best practice techniques in how to develop reports in Power BI desktop and then how to use Power BI within your organisation by harnessing the online service features.
Number of Recommended CPE credits: 15.0
Field(s) of Study: Computer Software & App
Course Level: Beginner
Participants of this module should have reporting and analytical skills. It is recommended to have completed the Ultimate Beginners Guide to Power BI and DAX modules. No other advance preparation is needed to take this course.
This course module is tailored to: Excel users, data analysts, reporting managers
This course was last updated in September 2020.
- Learn - the background of how Power BI got to its current form
- Understand - the key features across the entire Power BI suite
- Learn - the 'must knows' around how to use Power BI effectively
- Master - the 4 pillars to developing analytical solutions in Power BI Desktop
- Practice - loading & transforming data, data modelling, DAX calculations & report development
- Grasp - theoretical and practical concepts of building analytical models
- Review - DAX formulas and how to put these into practice in your analysis
- Learn - some advanced DAX techniques
- Learn - how develop reports that look compelling and showcase quality insights
- Understand - how to use the online service as a distribution mechanism for your analysis
- Learn - best practice tips for using Power BI within your organisations
- 6 hours of course videos
- 1x demo data sets to practice DAX formula with
- 3x unique data sets to practice Power BI development
- Sales and inventory management
- Finance function
- Website analytics
- 10x Power BI file (pbix file) downloads showcasing all the examples used during the course
- Receive an introduction and overview of the entire Power BI suite of tools
- Key components of Power BI, including a deep dive into Power BI desktop
- Deep dive into the 4 pillars of high quality Power BI development
- Learn how to load and transform data in the query editor
- Learn simple to advanced query transformation techniques
- Query data from multiple data sources at the same time
- Review how important and how to implement a high quality date table
- Introduction to data modelling
- Learn how to create relationships between tables and about different type of relationships
- Beginner concepts of DAX calculations
- Key techniques to understanding DAX - evaluation, filter & row context
- Some advanced concepts and techniques for implementing DAX formula
- Data visualisations techniques and best practice report design techniques
- Online service deep dive into the best consumption and distribution features
- Tips for using Power BI within organisations effectively
For a list of all courses available through Enterprise DNA view here
Sam very early on saw the immense opportunity of using Power BI to create analytical solutions. After years of developing some advanced analysis and tools in excel, he was amazed that he could re-create most of those things in about 10% of the time with Power BI.
He is the founder and CEO at Enterprise DNA, a business intelligence training & consultancy business primarily focused on driving better decision making within organisations by empowering individuals and teams to transform raw data into unmatched insights using Microsoft's Power BI suite of tools.
Sam has a strong history in Finance, previously working at ANZ, PIMCO, and Fonterra. He is also a CFA charterholder, achieving the designation in 2011.
He has a passion for building highly scalable analytical solutions within organisations, and wants to see others learn how to do the same.
StartHow to get Certified for this course?
StartPower BI Workshop Resource Pack
StartGoals for this training (3:16)
StartResources we will be using in this course (5:48)
StartPower BI explained (4:23)
StartWhy reporting in Power BI is better than in excel (7:10)
StartWhy you are now building analytical solutions (4:41)
Start4 Pillars of high quality Power BI solutions (4:36)
StartWhat is the query editor? (2:09)
StartThe essential way to source data for Power BI (4:12)
StartFundamentals of using the query editor (9:22)
StartQuerying multiple data sources in the same model (3:00)
StartBest practices for transforming data in the query editor (4:34)
StartRow & Column transformations (15:00)
StartMaking sure data types are correct (2:34)
StartCreate groups for your queries (3:20)
StartWhat is 'M' and why do you need to have an understanding (7:39)
StartQuery dependencies (6:33)
StartImportance of date tables (9:06)
StartReview Question Feedback
StartIntroduction to the importance of the data model (4:08)
StartWhere to manage relationships for your data model (2:55)
StartUnderstanding what types of tables you have & setup techniques (5:46)
StartSetting up relationships in your models (7:56)
StartDifference between active and inactive relationships (5:06)
StartBuilding out additional dimensions in your data (7:32)
StartReview Question Feedback
Frequently Asked Questions
Enterprise DNA, Ltd is applying for registration with National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have the final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website www.nasbaregistry.org.
Passionate about empowering users of Power BI
"My goal is to teach others that you have almost unlimited analytical power when harnessing all the features in Power BI.
Through training across a number of different mediums, I've reached over 100,000 Power BI users, showing them a range of tips and tricks in Power BI development.
I'm a true believer that Power BI is the future of analysis and know individuals with the right training can now create advanced analytics in a scalable way that can have a real impact in the way insights are found and consumed within organisations."
Sam McKay, CFA - Founder & CEO, Enterprise DNA