Fundamentals in Power Query and M
Acquire an extensive knowledge and understanding of the Power Query and M language to help you easily transform your data from multiple sources into Power BI
An outline of this training course
Gain a comprehensive knowledge on Power Query as a tool in preparing, transforming and loading data; and designing and shaping tables for data modelling.
Develop an in-depth understanding of the elemental building blocks of all Power Query operations, whether accessed through the user interface (UI) or via custom M code.
In this course, Melissa de Korte provides a progressive framework with extensive examples that will allow you to perform a nearly infinite array of data transformations that will improve your data model, speed report performance, and simplify your DAX. This is the first of multiple Power Query/M courses that Melissa has planned over the coming years
Details of what you will learn during this course
Gain - an extensive knowledge and understanding of the Power Query User interface and the components of the M language programming
- Explore - the features and capabilities of the Query Editor as a data transformation tool
- Develop - a holistic understanding of Power Query's elemental building blocks: values, lists, records, tables and functions
- Learn - how Power Query treats data types, and how to trap and correct common errors
- Obtain - expert insight into more advanced topics, such as environments and projection and selection
- Acquire - strategies for mastering M code over time
What you get with the course
- Almost 3 hours of intensive training videos
- Resource pack of pbix files and data sets for practical application
For a list of all courses available through Enterprise DNA view here
- Skilled in ETL and Modelling. Delivered practical Power Query solutions in both Excel and Power BI.
- Expertise in analysing business process data. Delivering, deploying and supporting Power BI solutions throughout the organisation.
- All-round Power platform enthusiast.
StartWhat Is Power Query And How To Master M (5:25)
StartHow The Power Query Editor Is Organized Part 1 (15:10)
StartHow The Power Query Editor Is Organized Part 2 (8:51)
StartData Type And Operators (5:11)
Startlet Expressions, Variables And Identifiers (11:36)
StartIntroducing Values (9:36)
StartIntroducing Records (11:48)
StartIntroducing Lists (8:12)
StartIntroducing Tables (10:51)
StartIntroducing Functions (13:42)
StartSelection And Projection (7:35)
StartKeywords And Accessing Documentation (7:18)
StartBest Practice And Language Flow (25:01)
StartHow To Successfully Implement A Piece Of M Code (8:18)
StartMaster M (3:53)
Frequently Asked Questions
Passionate about empowering users of Power BI
"My goal is to teach others that you have almost unlimited analytical power when harnessing all the features in Power BI.
Through training across a number of different mediums, I've reached over 100,000 Power BI users, showing them a range of tips and tricks in Power BI development.
I'm a true believer that Power BI is the future of analysis and know individuals with the right training can now create advanced analytics in a scalable way that can have a real impact in the way insights are found and consumed within organisations."
Sam McKay, CFA - Founder & CEO, Enterprise DNA