An outline of this training course
Advanced Data Transformation & Modeling - can also be accessed through a purchase of an Enterprise DNA Membership
- Learn - best practice techniques when using the query editor
- Learn - how to work with 'M' code and the advanced editor
- Understand - the row and column query transformation options
- Implement - advanced data cleaning and transformation techniques
- Work - through end to end examples of querying multiple tables
- Learn - how to think about and manage the data model
- Learn - effective techniques applicable to any data scenario
- Apply - advanced data modeling techniques to your own models
- Understand - advanced modeling scenarios and situations
Learn - how to effectively organize your models
- 4 hours of course videos
- Demo dataset and model to practice advanced querying and data modeling with
- Utilize the query editor to clean up and optimize your raw data tables
- Learn the great functionality hidden away in the query editor
- Implement advanced transformation techniques to improve your solutions
- Organize your queries so you can manage complexity
- Manage tables of data from multiple different data sources
- Design and execute on an effective data model
- Analytical think about your data model and then create the correct relationships
- Lay out your data model so it is designed intuitively
- Implement data models over unique data scenarios
For a list of all courses available through Enterprise DNA view here
Sam very early on saw the immense opportunity of using Power BI to create analytical solutions. After years of developing some advanced analysis and tools in excel, he was amazed that he could re-create most of those things in about 10% of the time with Power BI.
He is the founder and CEO at Enterprise DNA, a business intelligence training & consultancy business primarily focused on driving better decision making within organisations by empowering individuals and teams to transform raw data into unmatched insights using Microsoft's Power BI suite of tools.
Sam has a strong history in Finance, previously working at ANZ, PIMCO, and Fonterra. He is also a CFA charterholder, achieving the designation in 2011.
He has a passion for building highly scalable analytical solutions within organisations, and wants to see others learn how to do the same.
StartCourse resources - demo data, demo models, date table code
StartMy best practice tips for the query editor & data model (6:03)
PreviewWhy you always need to use the query editor (4:53)
StartWhat's possible with the query editor (8:29)
StartHow to bring in data to the query editor (7:07)
StartTips and techniques to work through in the query editor (8:14)
StartUnderstanding M code (10:47)
StartHow to fix things if they fall over in here (8:19)
StartHow to organize the query editor well (4:11)
StartStaging queries (5:28)
StartReferencing & duplicating queries (5:28)
StartAppending queries (5:21)
StartMerging or joining your queries (8:48)
StartUnpivoting your tables (9:06)
StartColumns from examples (5:49)
StartCustom & conditional columns (8:42)
StartCreating & using parameters (8:33)
StartCustom functions (10:13)
StartBringing advanced transformations together (5:25)
Frequently Asked Questions
Passionate about empowering users of Power BI
"My goal is to teach others that you have almost unlimited analytical power when harnessing all the features in Power BI.
Through training across a number of different mediums, I've reached over 10,000 Power BI users, showing them a range of tips and tricks in Power BI development.
I'm a true believer that Power BI is the future of analysis and know individuals with the right training can now create advanced analytics in a scalable way that can have a real impact in the way insights are found and consumed within organisations."
Sam McKay, CFA - Founder & CEO, Enterprise DNA